Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Random Access Memory

          I was literally excited when I had the opportunity to integrate the negatives I have been working on all term for another project into a digitally uploaded book. I selected three images from each photo shoot I produced to include in the book. I am very pleased with the visual flow it created. I uploaded the book to blurb, utilizing their Booksmart software. The software is surprisingly easy and foolproof, a welcome relief after learning how to produce images on the computer that are similar to those I produce in the darkroom. I spent the most time scanning each negative into the computer and using photoshop to correct each speck of dust that appeared on the scanned image. This was tedious, but it further expanded my archival abilities gleaned from photoshop. I chose not to order my book until after the critique tomorrow, as I would truly value the feedback from everyone who will be at the critique. As of yet, I have not presented the finished product to anyone, and I feel it would be foolish to order the book without first at least getting one other person's opinion. As it stands, the book has fine image quality and the test prints performed on campus have rendered excellent results. I look forward to ordering a copy after the critique and potentially including it in my works show at the Senior Exhibition.  

 

3 comments:

  1. I think you should definitely order the book! I think that it looks great and the title is perfect! I honestly do not think that you need much more to have a very neat final version of your book-maybe a couple tweaks here and there- but in overall it looks very professional and finished to me. The way the images are arranged gives the book a very nice flow. Finally, I would like to mention that I love your cover. It is perfect, it evokes the idea of the re-living of a memory, and it gives it this nostalgic and almost romantic feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project lends itself very well to the book format as it highlights the narrative aspect. Paging through the book as an object will further expand on your intent. Your opening text needs a bit more honing so work on that (we can talk) before ordering the final hard copy. You might also consider moving the title and your name on the cover very slightly to the right so it doesn't land in the binding area (it indents in a distracting way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it'll turn out beautifully, and the cohesiveness of your images will really make it look like an excellent, finished work. I agree that the title is really great - somehow it speaks to your subject matter and also the technology you had to use to put the project together, which is really neat. The design sense of it seems really strong, and everything works together in a very aesthetically pleasing way. It'd be really neat to see the finished product once you have it.

    ReplyDelete